The Governing Body uses a committee structure to undertake their monitoring and evaluation roles. Membership and terms of reference of committees are determined annually. At Mitton we have a Full Governing Body meeting and make use of the following committees : Finance & Personnel, Curriculum and Premises.
The Finance & Personnel Committee
Dom Michell - Chair
- In consultation with the Headteacher, to draft the first formal budget plan of the financial year
- To establish and maintain an up to date 3 year financial plan
- To consider a budget position statement including virement decisions at least termly and to report significant anomalies from the anticipated position to the Governing Body
- To ensure that the school operates within the Financial Regulations of the County Council
- To monitor expenditure of all voluntary funds kept on behalf of the Governing Body
- To annually review charges and remissions policies and expenses policies.
- To make decisions in respect of service agreements
- To make decisions on expenditure following recommendations from other committees
- To ensure, as far as is practical, that Health and Safety issues are appropriately prioritised
- To determine whether sufficient funds are available for pay increments as recommended by the Headteacher
- In the light of the Headteacher Performance Management Group’s recommendations, to determine whether sufficient funds are available for increments
- To draft and keep under review the staffing structure in consultation with the Headteacher
- To establish a Salary Policy for all categories of staff and to be responsible for its administration and review
- To oversee the appointment procedure for all staff
- To establish and review a Performance Management policy for all staff
- To oversee the process leading to staff reductions
- To keep under review staff work/life balance, working conditions and well-being, including the monitoring of absence to make recommendations on personnel related expenditure to the Finance Committee
- To consider any appeal against a decision on pay grading or pay awards
The Premises Committee
Rob Ashmeade – Chair
To provide support to the Headteacher on all matters relating to the school premises, grounds, security and health & safety.
- To annually inspect (during March), the premises and grounds and prepare a statement of priorities, in preparation for the Annual Premises liaison meeting. The inspection report to be approved by the full governing body.
- To advise the Governing Body on priorities, including Health and Safety, for the maintenance and development of the school’s premises
- To oversee the preparation and implementation of contracts
- To oversee arrangements for repairs and maintenance
- To make recommendations to the Finance Committee on premises-related expenditure
- In consultation with the Headteacher and the Finance Committee, to oversee premises-related funding bids
- To prepare a lettings and charging policy for the approval of the full governing body, in liaison with the Finance Committee
- To oversee arrangements, including Health and Safety, for the use of school premises by outside users, subject to governing body policy
- To establish and keep under review a Building Development Plan
- To establish and keep under review an Accessibility plan
- To ensure any necessary liaison with the Local Education Authority
- To ensure the Governors responsibilities are discharged regarding litter under the Environmental Protection Act 1990
The Standards & Curriculum Committee
Katrina Perry - Chair
To provide support to the Headteacher on all matters relating to the school Standards and Curriculum.
- To consider and advise the governing body on standards and other matters relating to the school’s curriculum, including statutory requirements and the School’s Curriculum Policy
- To consider curricular issues which have implications for Finance and Personnel decisions and to make recommendations to the relevant committees or the Governing Body
- To make arrangements for the Governing Body to be represented at School Improvement discussions with the LA and for reports to be received by the Governing Body
- To oversee arrangements for individual governors to take a leading role in specific areas of provision, e.g. SEN, Literacy, Numeracy. To receive regular reports from them and advise the Governing Body.
- To oversee arrangements for educational visits, including the appointment of a named co-ordinator